10 Questions to Ask Yourself to Prepare for a Next-Level Shift
Be all you can be. I often see myself as somewhat contented with my life the way things are, but of course, it's hard to think of anything else when there are real issues to be discussed.
Still, I found myself a year-or-so ago aspiring for something deeper and more meaningful. Something more impactful
We're all pelted with problems. Honestly, it shouldn't even bother or even hinder us from becoming all we ought to be. But it often does. Our childhood aspirations should continue to live within us, even if we have moved on. Do you remember what you wanted to be as a child? I remember back to playful desire to unknowingly do incredible things. An astronaut. A firefighter. A doctor. Possibly a hybrid of all three at one point.
It recently gave me cause for reflection and I recalled the saying... "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". Can they though? My strong view is YES. And here is my guide to helping you do this.
1. What do I really want? The question of the ages. So many things you want to do with your life and so little time to even go about during the day. Find something that you are good at can help to realize that small step towards improvement. Diligence is the key to know that it is worth it. Small steps are the key to achieving it. Break-down the goal.
2. Should I really change? Today's generation has taken another level of redefining 'self', or at least that's what the kids are saying. Having a young family and young children across the family has taught me that there are far worse things they could experience. So how does that fit into your lifestyle? If history has taught us one thing, it's the life that we have gone through.
3. What's the bright side in all of this? With so much is happening around us there seems to be no room for even considering that light at the end of the tunnel. We can still see it as something positive without undergoing so much scrutiny. And if it's a train at the end of the tunnel, take it for a ride and see what makes the world go round! Experimentation has been my big lesson here. The small steps to success that my wifes successful business was essentially founded on.
4. Am I comfortable with what I'm doing? There's always the easy way and the right way when it comes to deciding your path. It doesn't take a genius to see yourself as someone unique, or else we'll all be equally the same in everything we do. Variety brings in very interesting and exciting questions to be experimented with.
5. Have I done enough for myself? Have you, or is there something more you want to do? Discontentment in every aspect can be dangerous in large doses, but in small amounts, you'll be able to see and do stuff you could never imagine doing.
6. Am I happy where I am today? It's an unfair question so let it be an answer! If you love being a good and loving mom or dad to your kids, then take it up a notch! Your kids will love you forever. The same goes for everyday life! Just ask yourself that question
7. Am I appealing to a potential partner? Only you have the answer to this one as belief is key. Whether you shape-up, change the way you wear your clothes or hair, or even your attitude towards people, you should always remember it will always be for your own benefit. Anything else is an upside.
8. How much could I have? I suppose in this case there is no such thing as having too much or too little, but it's more on how badly you really need it. You may say "I'd like to have lots of money" but the key question is then how much are you willing to work for it?
9. What motivates me? What motivates you? It's an answer you have to find out for yourself. There are so many things that can make everyone happy, but to choose one of them maybe the hardest part. It's not like you can't have one serving of your favourite food in a buffet and that's it. Just try it piece by piece. Experiment. Play around.
10. What Really Makes You Tick? So... What really makes you tick? You can be just about anything you always wanted to be, but to realize that attaining something that may seem very difficult is already giving up before you even start that journey. Always remember, that self-improvement is not just about the physical or philosophical change you have to undergo, but it's something that you really want.
This week, following the launch of Tranquil we are pulling other content and materials to help you on your journey.
Introduction to Mindfulness Course: The Tranquil Led website was launched recently alongside the first part of a journey on discovering a sense of purpose. Check the website below:
Interested in hearing more about this and related topics? Follow me on LinkedIn, Twitter (@_Baines & @BeTranquilLed), and Instagram (@BeTranquilLed) where I regularly post insights relating to Health, Wellness, Mindfulness, Leadership & Innovation. Note that all views are my own